Half day Vilnius city tour
Vilnius is the capital of Lithuania and the largest city in the country. The founder of Vilnius is considered to be the Grand Duke of Lithuania Gediminas, who first mentioned the name of Vilnius in the written chronicles in his letter to the towns of Western Europe in 1323. Vilnius was the center of the largest country in Europe in the 14th - 15th centuries. Today it has about 580 thousand inhabitants and is one of the largest old towns in Eastern Europe, covering an area of 360 hectares. Green parks and urban heritage combine into the unforgettable mix many visitors enjoy. Because of this unique mix of architecture and landscape, it was included in UNESCO World Heritage List.
This sightseeing tour covers the historical Old Town of Vilnius, including Vilnius Cathedral and its square, the University campus, Pilies street with historical and architectural monuments dating back to the 16th –18th century, the Gothic corner of Vilnius with St. Anne's and Bernardine churches, the former Town Hall Square, the Dawn Gate with a miraculous icon of Virgin Mary, the 17th-century Baroque church of St. Peter and Paul.
- Applied Art Museum is housed in the old Arsenal at the foot of Gediminas Hill. This striking white building was built in the early 17th century in Renaissance style on the site of the former city wall, part of which can be seen in the basement.
- Vilnius Royal Palace is freshly restored site where rulers of Lithuanian Grand Duchy were residing. The museum has the largest glazed tiles collection in Europe and it is one of the best places to get acquainted with Lithuanian history.
- Gediminas Castle Museum located in 13th century castle tower has models of the original castle from 14th to 18th century, as well as other miscellaneous exhibits related to the castle’s history.
- KGB Museum - the cells in the basement of the former KGB building where thousands of Lithuanians were interrogated before deportation to Siberia, have been left almost as they were when prisoners were packed into them 20 in a cell.
- Dinner in a local Lithuanian cuisine restaurant with folk music show.
- Vilnius Picture Gallery with a private chamber music concert.
This is a 3 hour sightseeing tour